Tips to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Now that the weather has turned colder, we would like to remind you about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas. CO poisoning can lead to unconsciousness and death. CO is found in fumes produced by furnaces, kerosene heaters, vehicles “warmed up” in garages, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, portable generators, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO. Running gasoline powered appliances/equipment indoors, even in ventilated areas, can lead to CO poisoning. Remember to change the battery in your CO detector, and if you don’t have one, please install a new CO detector in your residence in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. And, remember to have your furnace serviced regularly. Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Safety Council will help you identify the hazards associated with CO as well as answer any questions you may have about safety in general.

Upcoming Events